CubeCartForums.org for CubeCart third-party documentation, modifications, skins and services

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting point or advice for custom skins
giantseed
post Mar 28 2012, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,174

I'm new to CubeCart and I've been looking all day for a starting point for creating a custom skin. It needs to match the rest of the site (www.aquaponics.com) and for the life of me I'm not getting anywhere. I got the custom skin set up and I can get it loaded, but when I open a file such as main.php in that new skin I can't get any changes to work. For example, I need to call in some include files, and I can't get it to process the lines of code as PHP, it either ignores them or just displays the line of code on the page. Is there a manual/guide or anything that anyone can point me to for directions on what to do and where to look to get a skin set up?

Thanks!

Chris

PS - the Cubecart site is going set up at www.aquaponics.com/cubecart
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brian Smither
post Mar 28 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #2

CubeCart Jedi Knight
Group Icon

Group: Supporter
Member No.: 568

We all agree that a tremendous amount of work can be done if we could get Devellion's developer's notes. It would save a lot of reverse engineering.

What I have already done is to take the complete Mauris skin and stripped out all the HTML. What's left is just the Smarty code. In analyzing the Smarty code, I can plainly see what each {$smarty_variable} and {smarty_instruction} is doing and/or showing. Now that I have that, slipping on the new skin should be straighforward.

I have made considerable progress at getting CC3's Killer skin adapted to CC5.

I see that you are taking the approach of modifying a copy of an existing skin and tweaking it. I tried that approach and had painted myself into corners way too many times.

I also see that you are trying to get Smarty to pass PHP codeblocks to the PHP parser. Sorry, that doesn't work as simply as that. To do something like this, we will need to create a Smarty plug-in, or include the scripts in the 'controller' - methods found in the various classes that populate the Smarty templates. I will surmise a decision was made as to what to call the skin template files - specifically the filename suffix. I don't know what went into the decision to use .php, but the filename suffix is irrelevant. The actual PHP statement to bring into play a template file is: $Smarty->display("name_of_template"). It matters not at all to Smarty that there appears to be a template naming convention.

I will be happy to work with you in getting your main site's skin fitted around the Smarty display logic.

Send me a PM if you are wanting to spend some quality time together.

+Quote Post
giantseed
post Mar 29 2012, 01:33 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,174

I'll be sending you a message shortly. Thanks so much! You've already cleared up a bunch of my questions.

+Quote Post
Cart Cubed
post Mar 29 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #4

CubeCarting Since Version 2
Group Icon

Group: Members +
Member No.: 5,612

I am currently working on some documentation on how to upgrade skins to V5 system, its taking longer than expected but hope to get it done and added soon to the documentation project the same as our V3 to V4 skin upgrade docs biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 04:17 PM
CubeCart Developers Network
Get CubeCart!
© 2007 - 2013  CubeCartForums.org in association with Inspired Solutions. Sponsored by Devellion