CubeCartForums.org for CubeCart third-party documentation, modifications, skins and services

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New CC version 5.0.8 and this oDesk rubbish, a slap in the face to the cc developers and all members of this forum
Goober Mods
post Apr 7 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members +
Member No.: 13

So with the new release of CC 5.0.8 comes that oDesk thing. First, the link not to show it, doesn't work.

But that's not the worst of it. I my humble opinion, I think this is a slap in the face to all of the diehard cc developers and designers who have supported cubecart over the years. A slap in the face to the members of this community and to this forum. Devellion never gave a damn about us not matter how much we have helped and supported it. It all began the day we were kicked off their support forums and became unofficial, unsupported community. Bastard children if you will.
To add insult to injury, we were even forced to remove word cubecart from our domain names! And yet we're all gave in, myself included, and continued to support and write mods, skins and plugins for cubecart.

Again, in my opinion, were it not for us, the freelance cc developers who have helped to support cc customers with answers in the forums, cubecart would not be as popular as it is today.

just a thought.

Thanks
/Goober
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brian Smither
post Apr 7 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #2

CubeCart Jedi Knight
Group Icon

Group: Supporter
Member No.: 568

My knee-jerk reaction was along very similar expressions of disappointment to yours. But once I put my knee back onto my leg where it belongs, I gave the oDesk thing the "360 degree treatment."

It boils down to simply not knowing enough of the whole picture. What follows are big gaping holes of the unknown:
Devellion's contract with oDesk may require such an inclusion. ???
oDesk seems to be some sort of support system. ???
Why is oDesk involved at all???
The oDesk cameo is not shown on the Store Front. (Pretty sure about that.)
The oDesk banner is just that, not a rotating multiple ad banner. ???

To me, after screwing my knee back in place, this is not a slap in the face at all. It's just an innocuous graphic on the dashboard. (Actually, I haven't been in the Admin section of 508 as yet, I've just seen the code for it.)

However, as there is no (real or imagined) Cubecart SDK, an amazing amount of manhours have been expended and will continue to be expended at reverse-engineering the CubeCart code in order to make it perform according to our requirements. I'm all for ramping up the Documentation project on this site - but to be honest, I think the Documentation should be on Devellion's site, regular contributions to it be made by Devellion staff (having access to the developers' original notebooks and such), and the medium of the Documentation site to permit much more flexibility in what can be posted/displayed (flowcharts, Use Case diagrams, etc).

We can all agree that development support from Devellion would be really nice. But so would regular submissions from the long-time developers who have already reverse engineered how CC5 hooks actually work, program flow, etc. But then, why give the competition any aid and comfort?

+Quote Post
vokf
post Apr 8 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 149

I agree with Goober on this.

These "rentacoder" websites do have their place, but to be promoted when there is an existing network of experienced (and rated) developers here on CCF.org is very strange.

+Quote Post
Al (aka Brooky)
post Apr 9 2012, 08:47 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Heard, agreed and understood. It will be ditched in the next release. I'm sorry that some of you feel undervalued but hopefully you don't think we are so ignorant to actually think that. All cc developers are hugely valued and always have been. If you have any suggestions as to what we can do for you to make things more fruitful I would love to discuss it with you. I really hope the new affiliate scheme can be if benefit to some of you.

gosh.. Posted this with my iPhone. Time to update IPB forums Rob it's much more smart phone friendly. :-)

BTW guys I have been saying since the release of V5 that I want you guys more involved in development. If there is anything you think you can bring to the table let me know and maybe we can get you on board.

I'm currently chatting with another long standing cc developer about getting a certain well known shipping module ported over to v5.

+Quote Post
Goober Mods
post Apr 9 2012, 11:15 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (Al (aka Brooky) @ Apr 9 2012, 04:47 AM) *
Heard, agreed and understood. It will be ditched in the next release. I'm sorry that some of you feel undervalued but hopefully you don't think we are so ignorant to actually think that. All cc developers are hugely valued and always have been. If you have any suggestions as to what we can do for you to make things more fruitful I would love to discuss it with you. I really hope the new affiliate scheme can be if benefit to some of you.

gosh.. Posted this with my iPhone. Time to update IPB forums Rob it's much more smart phone friendly. :-)

BTW guys I have been saying since the release of V5 that I want you guys more involved in development. If there is anything you think you can bring to the table let me know and maybe we can get you on board.

I'm currently chatting with another long standing cc developer about getting a certain well known shipping module ported over to v5.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

+Quote Post
Cart Cubed
post Apr 9 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #6

CubeCarting Since Version 2
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,612

Thats good to hear, some of us have been around since V2 and we deserve to be recognised for our help and support both in the core code support and mods we produce to help promote and sell your software

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 01:35 AM
CubeCart Developers Network
Get CubeCart!
© 2007 - 2014  CubeCartForums.org in association with Inspired Solutions. Sponsored by Devellion